Friday, July 9, 2010

Today is July 9 and we are in St Ignace at the public marina. It is very nice here! We are impressed with the layout of the marina and the close proximity to town. We will be leaving on Saturday for the Les Cheneaux Islands and then on to Canada the next day if weather is good. We will meet up with Dick and Mary, and possibly Craig and Pat. Bill and Evelyn will catch up with us eventually if all goes well. Well after spending 5 days on anchor at Beaver Island it was nice to be able to leave in good weather. However, when we did leave it was in very heavy fog for about 25 miles. I will let you all know that I do not like traveling in fog, even with radar!! I was a basket case the whole way, to the point of being nauseated!
I know Randy is very adept in his sailing skills but I was useless! For one thing he has a lot better distance vision than I do, and I was not able to see all that he was able to see. But we or rather I got through it. I had to buck up and and handle it! St Helena island was beautiful when we finally arrived. There were only 2 boats anchored there. Ken, and ourselves. Randy and I dingy ed to shore and walked the shore line. That was great! On Thursday we left for St Ignace, again in the fog. Fortunately we only had 10 miles to go, and as we were getting a pump out and fuel the beautiful sun came out!!!
I have to tell you all that I am surprised at myself thus far! I have so much to learn yet in the actual sailing part of this journey, and I do not mean putting the boat on autopilot. I have mastered that! Even though we have had a sailboat since 1998, I haven't become as proficient as I thought I would be at this point. But I will continue to learn every day and face any fears I have!! My husband is so very understanding! However if he yells at me for something I did not do right, he knows I will yell right back!! When we are both silent for a spell, we can then talk to each other like a very loving couple does! All apart of boating and I guess being together 24 7! Tonight we were invited over for wine and white fish by the couple next to us who also have a 36ft Catalina. Martha and Jack are a very nice couple who hail from Ohio. It was fun to talk with them and we both enjoyed our time with them. I have to let you know as I wind this up, that I really miss my daughter, son in law, My grandson J and Our grand dog, Daisy. I miss our oldest daughter also, but in a different way, as Josh and Leslie live in Florida, and we only get to see each other about 2 times a year. We will be in St Augustine in November so we will have a lot of time to be together! Yay!! I miss our friends also, and believe it or not, I miss my coworkers at times!! It's hard to forget about work, as far as my coworkers are concerned, because we were together so much of the time, for better or worse! I am not missing my job however! ObGyn has been a part of my life since 1988 and I could leave that with no problem. Well thanks again for being a part of our blog. I tend to get wordy but hey I have lots to say!! Love to all, Jeannie of S/V Mutual Fun.

12 comments:

  1. Buster sure looks like he is having fun! Wish Brenda & I were doing the same trip maybe someday, call if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to talk with you today. Enjoy all the things you get to see and do. These are times to be treasured for sure. I miss talking to you and seeing your smiling faces but we will catch up later! ferrelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great!!!!!! Let Randy write some also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne and Randy, We will be following your adventure with amazement. I (Kathy) don't know if I could do it. Although Greg could. We are so sorry we had to miss your party we were really looking forward to seeing you before you left. Take care of yourselves and have fun. Love Kathy and Greg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking at your progress and you've missed a few spots you might want to think about revisiting. We like Turnbull and Bear Drop. It's also interesting to go through the Whalesbacks and Little Detroit.

    john and Bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're enjoying the North Channel.... Some of our favorite spots are now West of you. Turnbull and Bear Drop. It's also interesting to take a run through the Whalesbacks and Little Detroit.

    John and Bev (Desperado)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Randy, what is going on with your tracker, it is giving a position every hour or less?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been following your blog and I want to say "Have Fun" and thank you for writing this. It's great that you're doing this. Can you give me some details on the boat? If it's in the blog I missed it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure if you got my previous past about your boat etc. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like you are almost to Little Current. where you have been along the north shole of the Channel is beautiful.
    Any SWAG for when you may be in Oriental after the boat show? Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bob:
    Our boat is a 1990 Catalina 36 wing keel. We have wind and solar power as well as a inverter on board.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Catalina 36 is one of my dream boats. I have an Ericson 37, 1978. Look forward to me updates.

    ReplyDelete