Thursday, December 16, 2010

Wind , Cold And fuel leak

Ah we are still setting at the Grand Bahama Yacht club as we took a slip for a week and that ends Friday morning. The wind has been howling out of the west NW as it is bringing in much colder air. Woke this morning and it was 51 here and in Lake Worth it was 30. We knew that it was going to be blowing hard for a few days so that is why we stayed here. Our next stop was going to be the Berry Islands but we have a small window once again on Thursday and Friday before the winds come blowing again 30 to 35 kts from the WNW which looking at the Berry Island would not be good were are thinking. We are also waiting on our friends on Polar Pacer to catch up with us as they had some prop trouble and had to turn back when we started to cross last week. The last few days we have been basically hibernating below as it has been to cold to go out and venture. Jeannie is coming down with a cold so she stayed in bed most of the day on Tuesday. So I had planned on doing a few projects as one was moving the fuel vacuum gauge over to the correct side of the fuel line.

Dummy me I had it on the wrong side as it never showed that the fuel filter was plugging up a few weeks ago before the diesel quit on us. So in doing so you know there is always a little diesel spillage when you cut the hose I half and so on right. I had towels all ready and did the cutting of the hoses and replaced the old hose and installed the gauge on the proper line. So in cleaning up I though oh I should look at the bilge and get what water is in there out. As I am one that likes a dry bilge. So I pulled the bilge cover and wholly *#%! There was about 4 gallons of diesel in there. Now I thought oh god now I was not that careless as I try to take pride in what I do. So the process of cleaning it up began. Once I got it all cleaned up, I noticed that a small steady stream was still seeping into the bilge from under the fuel tank. I started thinking oh this is not good, While Jeannie is trying to sleep up in the v berth I am tearing the fuel tank out. I still had around 16 gallons of fuel in it so I had to go and round up some fuel cans from other cruisers her at the marina. Once I got most of the fuel out the removal process began. About 2 hour later I had the tank out and setting on the dock.
What I ended up finding was right on the bottom and in the middle of the tank was a small pin hole. Using a little pig putty and some epoxy on the bottom I got the first pin hole fixed. Then while I had it setting on some wood on the dock testing to to make sure it was sealed. I looked and just to the right there was a 2nd pin hole. Dam! So the process began to fix the 2nd leak. So round number 2 with the pig putty and epoxy. While I am hoping it will get us by till we get home in the spring. One good thing is we have a couple of more days here at the marina before we have to head out. With it all back in each morning now I get up and the first thing I do is to look into the bilge and pray.

1 comment:

  1. glad your keeping busy there is always something on a boat that needs attention epoxy will fix almost anything, I am ready to see some fish on the grill keep those pics coming living through your adventure & wishing I was there.

    ReplyDelete